What is Tumeric
Among other spices tumeric ( curcuma longa) has many great health benefits, mostly cultivated in in China, India and Asia, tumeric is a member of the ginger family and has a yellowish orange color that is used as a flavoring in various types of foods. Tumeric is also a primary component of curry powders and certain kinds of mustards.
Tumeric is a scented plant and has a bitter taste. After cultivation, the roots and the bulbs are boiled, dried and ground into a smooth yellow powder. Tumeric also has an active ingredient called curcumin which is filled with anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties.
Nutritional values of 1 Tbsp of Tumeric (6.8 g).
- Calories- 24
- Total carbohydrates- 4.4 g
- Potassium – 171.7 mg
- Dietary fiber – 1.4 g
- Iron – 15%
- Vitamin B-6 – 5%
- Vitamin C -3%
- Magnesium – 3%
Amazing Health benefits of tumeric
For centuries tumeric has been used as traditional medicine to treat different types of illnesses, today, multiple studies show that tumeric may help to fight;
- Reduce inflammation
- Treat digestive problems
- Prevent blood clots
- Help treat Alzheimers
- Parkinsons disease
- Tumeric can also be used as a stimulant
- Helps treat inflammation of the eyes iris, a condition known as uveitis
- Reduces symptoms of bloating and gas
- Treats ulcerative colitis and limits reccurance
- Tumeric is a very powerful antioxidant that helps fight free radicals and may even prevent some of the damages they cause to our cell membranes.
Tumeric has been found in various studies to help prevent or treat different kinds of cancers because of its high antioxidant properties which protects and prevent cell damage. By adding tumeric to your daily diet helps with the following;
- Prostate cancer
- Breast cancer
- Skin cancer
- Colon cancer
Recommended daily intake amounts
- Fresh tumeric root- 1-3 g / day
- Dried tumeric powder- 1-3 g / day
- Fluid extract- 30-90 drops / day
- Standard curcumin spice- 1.8 g / day
Side effects of tumeric
For little to none side effects of tumeric it is advisable to consume the recommended amount, that said tumeric is a very safe spice.
Possible side effects from overdose are;
- Stomach Upset
Tumeric longevity tea recipe
- 4 cups of boiled water
- Add 1 tsp of ground tumeric powder
- Let simmer for 10 minutes
- Add ginger and honey to taste
Facts about tumeric
- Tumeric is also known as curcuma longa or curcumin
- India produces 90% of the global production of tumeric
- Tumeric is a tropical plant of the ginger family with a rough segmented skin also known as the rhizome or underground stem.