The word apple derived from an old English word aeppel, known for its many nutritional health benefits, apples are classified as one of the oldest and healthiest fruits of time. Dating back to over 4000 years ago around 6500 BC.In this article, we will be covering the many health benefits of apples.
We have all heard the term ” an apple a day, keeps the doctors away” apparently there is some truth to this quote, according to various medical studies, many researchers agree that apples are extremely great for us due to their numerous healthy nutrients.
- Plant-Malus Domestica / Rose family Rosaceae.
- Origin – Central Asia
- Scientific Name- Pomaceous fruit
Nutritional facts of 1 large Apple
- Calories – 110
- Total carbs – 29.28 g
- Potassium – 227 mg
- Dietary fiber – 5.1 g
- Sugars – 22.03 g
- Vitamin A – 2%
- Vitamin C – 16%
- Calcium – 1%
- Iron – 1%
- An apple contains 80% water.
Health benefits of Apple
Apples are filled with many health benefits, many of which are in the skin. Studies show that apples contain polyphenols, are high in fiber including soluble & insoluble pectins therefore consuming up to 2 apples a day may help reduce, prevent or treat the following conditions;
- Prevent Alzheimers
- Reduce the risk of stroke
- Improves memory
- Lowers LDL Cholesterol levels
- Reduce the risk of diabetes
- Prevents breast cancer
- Lower obesity rate
- Prevent heart disease
- Prevent gallstones
- Treat diarrhea
- Reduce constipation
- Detoxify the liver
- Boost immune system
Side effects of Apples
Eating as many apples a day as you can is generally safe as long as you steer clear of their seeds. Apple seeds contains a poisonous substance called cyanide. Symptoms of cyanide poisoning includes;
- Confusion & Headaches
- Nausea & vomiting
- Difficulty breathing
- Heart attack
Please contact a doctor if you or a family member have any or more of the symptoms listed above.
Facts about Apples
- The skin of the apple is where you get the most fiber.
- There are close to 7500 varieties of apples
- The apple tree takes between 4-5 years to produce it’s first fruits.
- Apples are fat , sodium and Cholesterol free.
- An apple can be as small as a cherry or as large as a grapefruit.
- China produces 40% of the global apple production.
- Over 63 million tons of apples are produced globally each year.
- For a fast plan to lose weight try the 3 day apple diet below.
Don’t miss out! Sign up for our free weekly newsletter below and get our free recipes, healthy weightloss tips & Tricks to help you get that dream body!
Get all the latest health news straight to your inbox!