Carrots are known as one of the world’s healthiest vegetables, a power food mainly because they are a high source of vitamin A, Potassium, fiber, vitamin k, vitamin B-8 and are also famous for their antioxidant agents.
- Plant– wild carrot
- Scientific name- Daucus Carotene Sub species Sativus
- Origin– Europe & Southwestern Asia
There are many varieties of carrots, most common types include;
- Baby carrots-sculpted to look like baby carrots.
- Chantenay-Pale orange, short and thick.
- Danvers– medium sized, coned shaped carrots.
- Imperator-long slender with pointed tips.
- Nantes-orange, short, brittle & blunt tip.
- Purple carrots– dark violet to reddish purple in color.
- Red carrots– contains a substance called lycopene and are pinkish red in color.
- Round carrots– orange color & and shaped like large radishes.
- White carrots– long and thin with a white color.
- Yellow carrots– firm, crunchy and has a light yellow color.
Nutritional content of 100 g carrots
- Calories -41
- Potassium – 320 mg
- Sodium – 69 mg
- Total carbs – 10 g
- Dietary fiber – 2.8 g
- Sugars – 4.7 g
- Vitamin A – 334 %
Health benefits of eating carrots daily
Carrots have many medicinal health benefits, has an impressive list of nutrients and organic compounds. Consuming as little as 1 carrot a day may help with many kinds of diseases.Below is a list of the amazing Health benefits of carrots;
- Reduces the risk of stroke
- Helps prevent heart disease
- Reduces the risk of heart attack
- Stimulates white blood cells
- Reduces Cholesterol levels
- Reduces High blood pressure
- Helps boost organ function
- Helps boost immune system
- Helps regulate blood sugar
- Prevents prostate cancer
- Reduces the risk of lukemia
- Helps improve eyesight
- Reduces the risk of breast cancer
- Reduces the risk of lung cancer
- Reduces the risk of colon cancer
- Has antiseptic and anti bacterial properties.
Daily recommended intake amount
- 3-4 cups of carrot juice
- 4- 5 large carrots
Side effects of carrots
Carrots contain high amounts of vitamin A therefore one should bear in mind that over consumption of any vitamin or minerals can be toxic to your health.
Facts about carrots
- People First grew carrots as medicine
- Carrots are over 5000 years old
- There are many different colors of carrots, white, orange, yellow, purple, red and violet.
- Carrots are a great source of natural sugars.
- The part of the carrot we eat is called the tap root
- Carrots keep you healthy and helps you to see in the dark
- Carrots are a great source of fiber which aids the digestive system
- Purple carrots contain purple pigments called anthocyanins which act as antioxidants that protects the body.