Milk and civilization
Milk is as old as civilization, religious text, poets and history all refer to milk as being an important substance for survival, even now in 2016 milk is referred to as “white gold”. In fact the global dairy industry is worth 364 billion dollars today, with yearly global production rate of 800 million tonnes and 600 million tonnes consumption rate. So read on to discover the health benefits of milk!
Milk is a very healthy beverage, and it should be included in your diet.There are many varieties of dairy products used to incorporate milk into our daily lives such as; yogurt, cream, butter, cheese, powdered milk, condensed milk, ice cream, or just have a simple glass of milk.
There are different sources of milk but Mr cow is our #1 guy, others are sheep milk, goat milk, camel milk, buffalo milk,horse milk,donkey milk and reindeer milk.
Milk and beauty
Legend has it that queen of ancient Egypt Cleopatra, Poppaea Sabina the second wife of a roman emperor Nero and napoleon’s sister Pauline Bonaparte all had a similar belief that milk (donkey milk) could preserve beauty, they had servants prepare tub full of milk for them to bath in, Cleopatra’s bath alone consisted of the milk of 700 donkeys. They believed that bathing and washing their faces with donkey milk could stop wrinkles from appearing, create smoother and purer skin and believe it or not, women all over the world today wash their faces with milk several times a day.
Types of milk
There are 4 main types of cow milk sold at your local supermarket or grocery store. They differ mainly due to the process through which they are produced. They are; whole milk, fat free milk, organic milk, lactose free milk, 2% & 1% milk.
- Whole milk; non of its cream or fat has been removed. ( 3.25% butter content)
- Fat free milk; All cream and fat has been skimmed, also known as skim milk.
- Organic milk; Is produced by livestock that eat only organic foods that have been grown by organic farming methods.
- Lactose free milk; A reduced fat milk that has added lactase enzyme, it is consumed by people that are lactose intolerant, lactose is a natural sugar content in milk that many are allergic to.
- Lactose intolerance is a condition in which a person lacks th enzyme to break down the sugar found in milk for proper digestion. Nearly 100% of the Chinese population are lactose intolerant.
- 2% milk; Is a reduced fat milk( has 2% butter content)
- 1% milk; Is a low fat milk ( 1% butter content)
There are various types of milk made from vegetables, the most commonly known ones are Soy milk, coconut milk, hemp milk and almond milk.
Health Benefits of Milk
Cow milk offers a rich source of calcium and vitamin D which has been linked to healthy bones, drinking cow milk might help reduce blood pressure, some studies show that daily consumption of milk may help prevent ovarian cancer and depression. Adding milk to your daily diet is great for muscle growth and repair because of its high protein content.
Side Effects of Cow milk
Full fat cow milk has high amounts of saturated fat and Cholesterol and may increase the risk of heart disease, normally milk is a safe and healthy beverage that is not harmful to your health, however some people are allergic to milk while others are lactose intolerant so knowing the symptoms may help you protect you or your loved one from any undesired effect. www.medicalnewstoday.com
- Lactose intolerance symptoms; Bloating, flatulence and diarrhea.
- Cow milk allergy ; Wheezing, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Asthma and Eczema
- Safe consumption limit of milk is 4-5 8 fl.oz cup.
- Every year nearly 600 million tonnes of milk is consumed globally.
- 800 million tonnes are produced and 364 billion dollars worth of dairy products are sold.
- Nearly 100 % of the Chinese population are lactose intolerant.
Thanks for reading guys that’s it for me today I hope you enjoyed this post.