Parsley is a fresh flavored bright green biennial plant that is widely used in many countries on foods as a garnish, a seasoning in soups, sauces and salads.
Parsley can be easily grown in your back yard or anywhere that receives direct sunlight. Parsley has many health benefits and is a great source of flavanoids, antioxidants, folic acid, vitamin A, K, & C.
Origin-Central Mediterranean Region
Scientific name – Petroselinum Crisp um
Nutritional facts of 100 g of parsley
- Calories -36
- Sodium – 56 mg
- Potassium – 554 mg
- Total carbs – 6 g
- Dietary fiber – 3.3 g
- Protein – 3 g
- Calcium – 13 %
- Vitamin A – 168 %
- Vitamin C – 221 %
- Vitamin B-6 – 5 %
- Iron – 34 %
- Magnesium – 12 %
Parsley Health Benefits And Side Effects
Various medical studies show that consuming parsley regularly can help treat or prevent the following conditions;
- Decreases tumor size in breast cancer patients
- Helps treat and prevent diabetes
- Help improve bone health
- Prevents skin cancer
- Boost immune system
- Reduces fluid retention
- Regulates blood pressure
- Reduces joint pain
- Reduces inflammation
- Relieves urinary tract infections
Side effects of parsley
Parsley contains a substance called oxalate which worsen gallbladder and kidney problems in people with existing symptoms.
Eating parsley is normally safe when consumed in recommended servings, that said parsley is also a uterine stimulant therefore pregnant women should be cautious when choosing meals that contain parsley. The following symptoms are known to be associated with consuming large amounts of parsley in pregnant women.
- Induce contractions
- Premature labor
Facts about parsley
- There are two basic types of parsley that differ in taste and shape. Curly parsley is bitter and has wrinkled or creased leaves while Italian parsley has a strong flavor and flat leaves.
- Chewing fresh parsley can help in getting rid of bad breath especially after eating strong smelling foods.
- It is best to add parsley near the end of cooking a dish to ensure the best flavor.
- Many cosmetic companies use parsley as a main ingredient in manufacturing varieties of soaps and body lotion.
- For more on parsley health benefits go here
Thanks for reading and don’t forget to subscribe for more facts on interesting foods.